Lewis Army Museum

Inspire. Educate. Preserve.



How do I donate to the museum? The museum accepts donations of photographs, ephemera and other paper items of historic significance provided they are relevant to Camp Lewis, Fort Lewis or the units which have served here. The museum evaluates donations of three dimensional artifacts, provided they have relevance to Camp Lewis, Fort Lewis or the units which have served here. All three dimensional artifacts must be vetted with the U.S. Army Center of Military History for their provenance before they can be considered for addition into the museum’s collection. The museum does not collect any explosive devices, if you find old ordnance, please contact your local law enforcement for proper disposal. The museum currently has an excess of artifacts and is not actively collecting. If you have a donation questions or wish to make a donation, please coordinate an appointment with the museum staff in advance.  Gift offer letter for donors, Information For Donors, U.S Center for Military History

The following are basic parameters of what historical property the Army does not collect.
1. Items from US Army supporting agencies (i.e. USO, YMCA, Red Cross), although should they be deemed necessary for an education program or display, can be used as museum support items.
2. Gifts from foreign countries.
3. Archaeological material.
4. Trophies, coins or memorial materiel.

I’d like to host an exhibit of your artifacts at my facility. How can I request a loan of artifacts or exhibit support materials? The museum does not loan cataloged artifacts or exhibit support materials to outside private or government agencies. Artifacts are U.S. Army historical property and their care and preservation is governed by Federal Law and Army Regulation. Any transfer of U.S. Army historical property is authorized and coordinated by the U.S. Army Center of Military History at Fort McNair, D.C. The museum staff will happily assist units and outside organizations with information and guidance on how to acquire reproduction uniforms, equipment and exhibit materials and how to assemble exhibits.

Would you like to make a research request or schedule a tour? Download and fill out one of the documents below and send to:


Research Request Form 2019

Tour or Event Request

Does the museum archive military personnel records? NO.

The museum does not maintain any military personnel records.

For recent records – Soldiers, family members or researchers seeking military records on individual Soldiers should address their queries to U.S. Army Human Resources Command: https://www.hrc.army.mil.

Records more than 10 years old should be requested from the National Archives and Records Administration http://www.archives.gov/ or the National Personnel Records Center http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/index.html.

The Washington State Archives also has a section on military records https://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/Collections#RSID:6.

The US Center of Miltary History also has a research page with links: https://history.army.mil/inquiries/index.html

Another interesting resource for people researching Veterans is Veterans’ Legacies: http://www.veteranslegacies.com/. There are currently over 1 million records and stories on the site, and you can add your own.

Other research links:

National Archives Military Reference Material: https://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/military

U.S. Center of Military History Research Request: https://history.army.mil/inquiries/index.html

Washington State History: http://www.historylink.org/

Request Your Military Service Records Online, by Mail, or by Fax(Includes DD 214/Separation Documents, Personnel Records, Replacement Medals, and/or Medical Records) Military personnel records can include DD 214s/Separation Documents, service personnel records found within the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), and medical records. Military personnel records can be used for proving military service or as a valuable tool in genealogical research.

Click link below to go to request DD214

Online eVetRecs system creates a customized order form to request information from your, or your relative’s, military personnel records.
You may use this system if you are:

  • military veteran, or
  • Next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military. The next of kin can be any of the following:
    • Surviving spouse that has not remarried
    • Father
    • Mother
    • Son
    • Daughter
    • Sister
    • Brother